Magnesium is one of the most widely used supplements, much-loved by fitness fans and athletes for its ability to relieve muscle pain. But did you know it has many other benefits in the body? Our Naturopath explains what else magical magnesium can do.
Many of my clients are already taking some form of magnesium supplement when they come to see me. Quite often it has been recommended by a friend or gym instructor to help with muscle recovery and relaxation – this is one of the most important roles of magnesium in the body.
But there is so much more magnesium can do.
Magnesium is involved in nerve conduction and messaging; it supports the cardiovascular system; helps create proteins and DNA gene expression and it also has an important role in the immune system and nervous system.
Do you need to take magnesium supplements?
If you have one of the following conditions, magnesium supplements may be just what you need.
- A Poor Diet: If you have a diet high in salt, caffeine, soft drinks and alcohol – your body needs more magnesium to help process these substances.
- Diabetes or issues with blood sugar balancing: Hypomagnesaemia, or low magnesium is often seen in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes patients. There have been a number of trials proving that a high-quality magnesium supplement can improve diabetic control.
- Osteoporosis prevention: Many people just think of calcium as protection against osteoporosis, but because magnesium and calcium work so closely together you really need both to help with health bone density.
- PMS: There are numerous studies that supplementing with magnesium will reduce pre-menstrual symptoms such as fluid retention and mood swings. Magnesium is also extremely effective for period cramps and pain.
- Pregnancy: Magnesium supplementation throughout pregnancy is useful for a number of reasons. Firstly it may reduce pre-eclampisa and leg cramps, but there have been a few studies showing that supplementation may be supportive in reduce pre-term births and low birth weight. As a nervous system relaxer it is fantastic for tired mums to be.
- Migraines: Magnesium has been shown to reduce the severity and frequency of migraines. Because magnesium has an effect on serotonin receptors, Nitric Oxide synthesis and release of other migraine-related receptors and neurotransmitters, it can be very soothing before and during attacks.
We have magnesium supplements available at Sydney Health Professionals. However, there are contraindications with some medications and conditions. Please remember to speak with a health professional if you need advice on supplements. It is always best to get help with supplements rather than self-prescribing.
It is not advisable to take magnesium if you are on certain antibiotics, diuretics, Calcium-channel blockers, some cardiovascular medication or have an ongoing chronic kidney condition.